Fun Ideas for the kids at home:
- Scavenger hunt in neighbourhood. Im sure there are picture hunts on-line that you can use or else make up your own. (cars, dogs, bird, tree, fire hydrant, store, plane, etc)
- Play I spy with colors. Ask children to find something that is blue etc and bring it to you.
- Make a collage with things collected from a walk
- Make play dough and then play with it.
- Make a cereal necklace
- Make a musical parade using items from the kitchen as instruments
- Host a tea party.. bake cookies and then ask Dad to join in
- Bowl using empty bottles as pins
- Make a car wash for bikes or riding toys
- Race pompoms by blowing them with a straw
- Make masks with paper bags or paper plates and decorate them
- Play the game WAR… or Go Fish…..you may have to look up the rules online
- Do a puzzle
- Let your child read you a story by looking at the pictures or make up a story together and they can draw and color the pictures
- Plant a seed and watch it grow.
- Keep a balloon in the air as long as possible
- Play hot and cold with a hidden object
- Get the kids helping in the kitchen, doing dishes, scrubbing potatoes, peeling carrots
- Use cooking tools to play in water. Add some food colouring for fun
- Set up a sheet(fort) in the living room and let the children make a bed and bring fav toys into it.
- Yard work, bagging leaves, raking etc.
- Hopping outside on the grass in a pillow case
Some ideas children can work on independently:
Here is a link for more preschool ideas
- Children like sorting, so if you can think of about 4 items that you can mix in a bowl then have them separate them into 4 smaller bowls.
- Folding laundry…. it can be pretend laundry that you don’t care if its folded properly or dropped on the floor.
- Sweep the floor using a small broom and dust pan
- Make hand or body shadows using a flashlight in a dark space
- Snowball toss…..use socks or crunched up paper for snowballs and children throw them in a basket.